Saturday, April 8, 2017

Battle Report #5: Khador (Sorscha) vs Cryx (Deneghra)

As stated earlier, I'm starting a slow-grow, teaching "league" with my wife, Melissa. We have both of our battle boxes painted, and were finally able to get some games in last week.

Both of our battle boxes were chosen based on multiple criteria, but the main was that I already owned the battle boxes. After that, Melissa wanted the opportunity to build her own battle box, and paint her army. Since Khador is my second army (after Minions), I finished building and magnetizing the Khador battle box (by the way, in case you missed the earlier posts, these are Mk II battle boxes) to match against Melissa's Cryx. However, there was too large of a discrepancy in points for the standard battle group, so it was changed slightly.

My army:
Kommander Sorscha [+29]
- Destroyer [14]
- Destroyer [14]


Melissa's army:
War Witch Deneghra [+28]
- Clank - Deathripper [6]
- Gimpy - Deathripper [6]
- Spew - Defiler [8]
- Twitch - Slayer [10]


A quick addition shows Khador is at -1, and Cryx is at +2. :) But, I'm not worried - I'm an experienced Warmachine player and Melissa is just a beginner. ;)

First, since we were playing such small games, we were using the Rumble rules. For those who have never played, the rules for a Rumble game are as follows:
- The board is 30x30
- Armies are not deployed on the board at the beginning of the game.
- When deploying, models are moved onto the board their speed. Once all a player's models have been moved on, that player's first turn starts.

Our board was set up, with a simple two flag (control for 1 CP, dominate for 2 CP) scenario, though it would be highly unlikely that the scenario would come into play. Also, we were playing a fairly simple ruleset (no Advanced Rules or anything funky), giving my wife an opportunity to get her feet wet without lots of things to remember.


Khador - Turn One:
Cryx won the roll-off, and she decided to go second. So, Khador moved onto the board centrally, and then ran both 'jacks towards the flags (trying to get into good firing locations). Sorscha cast Wind Rush, and then advanced into the woods. With no targets, that was my turn.


Cryx - Turn One:
First, let me say Cryx are fast. Really fast! That was really a surprise for me. After Melissa moved her army onto the field 7" (everything but the Slayer anyway), we discussed strategy and possible avenues of attack. One of the things that drew this faction to my wife was that it was made up of very fast, hard hitting, but fragile, components. She really digs the glass cannon concept.

So, after discussing possible first turns, she selects her favorite scenario and starts. First, she moves Clank to the edge of the hill, 8" from Sorscha. Next, she moves Gimpy up in front of Deneghra to provide some protection. Deneghra then moves up and Feats. She then attempts to arc a boosted Parasite into Sorscha (from Clank) but misses. However, her feat catches my whole army (all three models), which really hurts. Spew advances and attempts to spray Sorscha, catching the Destroyer as well. She doesn't roll well, missing the boosted shot into Sorscha, but it does catch the Destroyer (no damage, but it is now Corroded). Then, Twitch charges Sorscha. The monster misses his charge attack, but does get two hits on her, so Sorscha uses focus to blunt them slightly and is sitting on about half health.


My wife showing her happy face!

Khador - Turn Two:
Hmm, that's a little not nice. -2 to every stat, no charges, runs, or slams makes this turn difficult. And I thought SPD 4 warjacks were slow - try SPD 2! And then I see that Sorscha's feat requires LOS (I didn't know that before). So rather than Feating and then moving, she has to move first to catch Deneghra.

Realizing this, Sorscha advances around Twitch, engaging Spew as well, and Feats. This catches the board, making all enemies stationary. She then proceeds to ... roll really horribly, unable to even scratch the Slayer on three of her seven attacks. When she finishes, Twitch is still on several boxes, with only its movement out (which didn't help me much, as it was still stationary).

So, after some measuring and weighing my options, I sent the Destroyer into Twitch (Twitch was barely under 3" away). He killed it in one swing (Melissa had to leave him lying there for one round :) ). The other Destroyer moved up slightly and dropped a shot onto Gimpy, in front of Deneghra. One thing noted AFTER our games were played was that Deneghra has Stealth - she didn't need the protection of Gimpy, and it actually made her more vulnerable. Gimpy loses everything but Cortex, and Deneghra loses a few boxes.


Cryx - Turn Two:
I didn't cast Wind Rush the previous turn (I needed all the focus to smack Twitch) - big mistake! After talking some more about the strategy, Melissa shook stationary from Clank and Deneghra. Deneghra then activated and sent a boosted Scourge into Sorscha. She wasn't in the forest (not completely in, my mistake!) and was no longer engaged/engaging Spew (he was stationary, so can't be engaged) so she was only DEF 16! Serious mistakes on my part, I was expecting her to be DEF 20+. Scourge hit, did a couple damage, but more importantly knocked her down.

Clank walks forward, autohits because she's knocked down, does damage, buys an attack (from the Power Up focus) and kills Sorscha.


The happy victor!

Cryx Victory!!

Well, that was a little ... surprising. Yes, my wife had help discussing strategy - which actually helped me as well. As the game progressed and we talked about various moves, I saw my mistakes. Hopefully, this will help me alleviate them in the future (and help her become a better player, too)!

Lessons learned:
- Deneghra is brutal in small games. Yes, she's good regardless, but in the close quarters of Rumble and the few models to mitigate her Feat, she is crazy, nasty effective.
- Khador is a new army for me in Mk III - quit assuming I know how everything works because I played them in Mk II (a little). Read the cards, pay attention to detail, and stop with the tunnel vision!
- Protect your warcaster! I kept pointing this out to Melissa, wanting her to understand this important concept, and then completely ignored it for myself. DUMB!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment