Thursday, March 23, 2017

Battle Report #1: Minions (Barnabas) vs Skorne (Mordikaar)

Well, the theme force for the Blindwater Congregation dropped today, and I just had to try it out. First, I fully realize my list is not optimized, but it was a first run-through and would give me an opportunity to see if I wanted to pursue it further.

For my list, I decided to run Barnabas and only use models I currently own (I think I will be picking more up sooner rather than later). The list contained:
Bloody Barnabas [+28]
- Blackhide Wrastler [16]
- Ironback Spitter [15]
- Ironback Spitter [15]
Bog Trog Mist Speaker [4]
Feralgeist [2] (not pictured, because I forgot him originally)
Croak Hunter [0] - bonus model from theme
Croak Hunter [0] - bonus model from theme
Gatorman Posse [17]
Gatorman Posse [17]
Croak Raiders [17]


Basically, it's the list I've been running with Barnabas, but now in theme so a few free models. We will see how it turns out.

My opponent was playing Skorne, and running the following:
Void Seer Mordikaar
- Cyclops Savage
- Despoiler
- Titan Cannoneer
- Titan Gladiator
Extoller Soulward
Void Spirit
Cataphract Arcuarii
Praetorian Swordsmen
- Swordsmen Officer & Standard
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)


I had never faced Mordikaar, and it's going to show very quickly. Definitely a learning experience! ;)

Minions win the roll-off, and I choose to go first. My opponent chose the side with the walls. We were playing the Outlast scenario, with each zone able to be Controlled for 1 CP or Dominated for 2 CP. The areas with a tree on them were forests, the areas without trees are hills.


I deployed my battlegroup centrally, with my Gators to my right and my Croaks (and the Feralgeist) Advanced Deploying into the woods on my left. The idea was the two units of Gators would be able to support themselves/control that zone by themselves and the battlegroup would take the left side, supported by the Croaks. The Mist Speaker was between the Spitters, ready to give support to either.


My opponent deployed his battlegroup central as well, with the Swordsmen to my left (across from where I would place my Croaks - good, because I expected the Croaks to be able to kill a bunch of them) and the Arcuarii to my right.


Minions - Turn 1:
Everything runs. Well, almost everything runs. This is also where I realize I had not deployed the Feralgeist, and my opponent graciously let me put it down behind the Croak Raiders. Everything runs but Barnabas, who put up Warpath on himself and cast Death March on the far Gator unit, then simply advanced.


Skorne - Turn 1:
This is where things started to get interesting. At least, it sets up for things getting interesting. Swordsmen run up the flank, keeping within 6" of a certain spot on the field (I'll find out why in a bit). The two heavy beasts in the middle run up, with their support behind them. Arcuarii move up behind a wall, and the Soulward puts Guidance on the Cannoneer, then moves up. Cannoneer advances, puts Far Strike on himself, and shoots the Gators along the woods. He hits and kills one, and slightly damages another. Then Mordikaar advances and casts Hollow on the Swordsmen (remember that 6" range that was necessary - this is why) and Essence Blast, removing a Swordsmen to spray down a Croak Hunter and a Croak Raider - killing them both. :( He then Feats. Void Spirit runs into the zone.


Minions - Turn 2:
Mordikaar's Feat gives all of his models within 14" of him +3 Def and Poltergeist - not good. However, Barnabas can pop Feat and negate that +3 DEF (knockdown!). After some measuring, though, I decide against it (bad, BAD decision). I can't really catch much in my Feat, so I decide to save it for one turn.

One Spitter stands still, aims, boosts into the Swordsmen and kills two, putting Corrosion on two more. The second Spitter lines up a shoot, aims, boosts and shoots into the Swordsmen but misses. The scatter hits three Swordsmen (killing one) and the Cyclops. They get Corroded and he is then pushed 3" back due to Poltergeist. Barnabas moves up, casts Swamp Pit on the other side of the forest (he upkept Death March and Warpath) and camped two. The Mist Speaker moves up in front of Barnabas, putting out his cloud. Gators move into the zone (the four man unit into the Swamp to avoid being shot) and the Croak Raiders run to engage all of the Swordsmen (I figure some would survive the inevitable attacks).


Skorne - Turn 2:
With all the souls Mordikaar reaped from last turn (remember Hollow? Yeah, killing dudes is not a good idea), he is sitting on 12 Fury (thanks to two more dieing from Corrosion). However, this is unnecessary. Swordsmen kill and clear a few of the Croak Raiders, and then the Cannoneer gets Guidance from the Soulward again. Turning, he casts Far Strike, aims, and calmly shoots my Mist Speaker off the board - this is bad because that was the protection for Barnabas!

First the Cyclops come charging in, then the Despoiler come charging in, and the end result is Barnabas lying on his face in the mud, playing dead until the big, bad elephants go away and let him lick his wounds.

Result: Skorne victory through assassination

Lessons learned:
- Even if it's not going to catch the whole opposing army, use Barnabas' Feat! Knocking everything close down would have limited what he could have done. Or stay back - things can go a long ways in this game. If you are going to commit to being up close and personal, multiple layers of protection are necessary.
- Either play aggressive or play defensive, don't try to do both at the same time. And really, aggressive would have most likely been a better bet.
- If you've never played against the 'caster, take a moment and look at their cards. Both the Hollow spell and his Feat really surprised me. But what really got me was ignoring Guidance that second time - I know about it ignoring clouds, so should realized that Cannoneer would shoot the Mist Speaker.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment