Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Journeyman League - the Butcher



A few days ago, I posted that my gaming group (small though it is) has started a Journeyman League. This was to get us old veterans into checking out a new army and, hopefully, bring in some new players. We did get one new player (he played back in Mk I), and we have two newer players that are restarting their learning experience from the bottom.

One of the perks of the being a veteran in the group, and to provide a little more variety, is that a veteran can run two armies - one from each of the systems. So, in this article, I'd like to run through the Journeyman progression for my Butcher list.

First, to review, our modified Journeyman rules are as follows:
1) A player may start using any prime warcaster/warlock (which means they have a '1' next to their name). You must start with a 0-point army, and must spend enough points to be within 4 points of each point level.
2) Character warjacks/warbeasts are not allowed in the first week. However, provided you have the points, you may add them at any point increase.
3) Every two weeks, the army will increase in points by 15 points. The first increase in points is still battlegroup only (only warjacks/warbeasts).
4) Points will not be scored, as participation is encouraged more as we attempt to add new players. In future JML's, we will revisit scoring.
5) All other rules for the JML are followed.


Before I continue, I have to make a confession - this list hurt my wargamer soul when I purchased the battlegroup. I have always stated I would never own, let alone play, the Butcher - any version of him. I really dislike him in the fluff, and feel he should be put down like a rabid dog. It also doesn't help that Butcher3 has murdered me in many a fashion, multiple times. However, the Butcher is right down my wife's play style - run forward and apply axe-to-face as hard and as often as necessary, and then do it some more. So, when getting her excited about the JML, I tried to talk her out of playing her Cryx and play the Butcher instead. She didn't, though she did change warcasters from Deneghra1 to Skarre1. I had spent so much time talking about the benefits of Butcher, and spent so much energy trying to get her invested in him, that I just couldn't allow him not to be played in the JML. So, I bought him - and have played one game with him. And I'm sad to say, he was a blast! (Shh - not so loud!) So now, I admit to feelings of guilty pleasure every time I think about him.

With that confession - may the gamer gods have mercy on my soul - I present my Butcher lists:

@ 0-points
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]

This battlegroup is made for one reason - Adam Thies. He's a good friend of mine who runs Butcher3 very well, and I've seen the effectiveness of the Kodiak. Heavy Boiler for extra movement, Vent Steam to clear infantry and make clouds, and Chain Attack: Grab & Smash for free power attacks make this warjack a bargain for 13 points. Add in MAT 7 and P+S 16 fists and you have a powerful melee threat. And with natural Pathfinder, he can come from unexpected angles. That's why I take two (that, and so I can play 2 points down).

@ 15-points
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Ruin [17]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]

So what to add to the battlegroup to make it better, you ask? RUIN! (hint - that's why I played two points down last week ;-) ) Butcher's character warjack is a beast, a bigger beast than Beast09 (ok, that was bad - it sounded better in my head). Sacred Ward prevents enemy spells being cast on him, Soul Taker lets him have FIVE soul tokens (allowing him to negate spells or trade for focus), and his Bond to Butcher gives him Relentless Charge (so more Pathfinder and extra movement for the "slow" Khador warjacks). His MAT 8 (yes, you read that right) allows you to accurately hit with the fist (the same fist as a regular Kodiak) and the black iron mace (a wicked cool P+S 18 reach weapon that Dispels!). All-in-all, a fitting addition to the Butcher's battlegroup.

@ 30-points
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Ruin [17]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [10]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [4]

I thought long and hard at this point level, as it would change my list drastically. This is because at first glance, I wanted to run Jaws of the Wolf. Eight Khador heavies (which I have!) could really put the damper on an opponent. But ... I decided not to for two reasons: 1) the JML is supposed to be fun, and I don't think anybody can have fun facing eight Khador heavies and 2) I love the Man-o-Wars, and was ecstatic when their theme force dropped. So, I decided to run Armored Corps (eventually) and started with the largest number of Man-o-Wars I could take at a 15-point increase.

@ 45-points
Armored Corps theme
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Ruin [17]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]
Man-o-War Kovnik [0]
Man-o-War Drakhun [9]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [16]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [4]

Ok, now that I have the basic Man-o-Wars I'm going to run in this list, let's examine each of them - and realize why I like them so much!
- Man-o-War Shocktroopers (and their Officer): MAT 7, ARM 17 (that climbs to ARM 21 with Shield Wall), P+S 14, RNG 2 halberds. That sums up these guys fairly well. They even have Combined Melee for the really hard targets. With eight wound boxes (more than almost any other heavy infantry), they have 48 wounds in the unit (counting the Officer). Speaking of the Officer, he's got +1 MAT and +1 POW on his axe (which also has Critical Freeze). But what really makes him shine is what he does - Granted: Assault lets you USE those shield cannons now (and let's be honest, who doesn't like POW 14 guns); Tactics: Steady and Tactics: Sturdy means they aren't going anywhere they don't want to. The really cool one there is Sturdy - no pushing these big guys around!
- Man-o-War Kovnik - He's basically another Man-o-War, with one MAJOR difference - Desperate Pace. Being able to make the incredibly slow Man-o-Wars essentially SPD 6 (yeah, I know, it's not really the same thing, but close enough) gets the hard hitting powerhouses up the field faster, and makes it much harder to jam them out of scenario.
- Man-o-War Drakhun - A light warjack on a horse!! That's basically what this guy is, with 18 boxes (between mounted and dismounted versions). And his MAT 8, P+S 14 weaponmaster blade will do some serious damage to opponent's infantry (and even 'jacks). Too bad he only gets one attack :-/ Beyond that, he's also ARM 20 (due to his shield) and Steady as long as he's mounted. With SPD 7, he's also going to get where he needs to quickly, along with Countercharge to provide an extra threat.

@ 60-points
Armored Corps theme
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Ruin [17]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]
Man-o-War Kovnik [0]
Man-o-War Drakhun [9]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [16]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [0]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [16]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [4]

Simple addition this point level - add in another full unit of Shocktroopers with their Officer. The Officer is free because of the theme :-)

@ 75-points
Armored Corps theme
Orsus Zoktavir, the Butcher of Khardov [+28]
- Ruin [17]
- Kodiak [13]
- Kodiak [13]
Man-o-War Kovnik [0]
Man-o-War Kovnik [0]
Man-o-War Drakhun [9]
Man-o-War Drakhun [9]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [16]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [4]
Man-o-War Shocktroopers [16]
- MoW Shocktrooper Officer [4]

And finally, adding another Kovnik and another Drakhun. This gives me a Kovnik for each unit and a Drakhun for each flank (or maybe I run them together, for mutual support - options!).

There's the list, and I think it will be a very tough nut to crack. Shield Wall Shocktroopers are ARM 21, Drakhuns and warjacks are ARM 20, the Butcher and the Kovniks are ARM 18. All have at least 8 boxes, making the whole army extremely good vs. attrition, and with the speed buff from the Kovniks can get upfield fast enough not get pushed out on scenario. It's not really geared towards assassination, but Butcher is always an assassination threat. I think it's got a lot going for it!

Thanks for reading, and feel free to post any comments you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment